Christ’s PEACE be with you in these unprecedented times! The Discalced Carmelite Friars of St. Therese Parish have been directed by the Archbishop Jose Gomez to suspend all the Public (that is publicized) Masses until the outbreak of the Coronavirus is under control. So in humble compliance with the Archbishop’s directive dated March 17, 2020, we will no longer offer a public (that is a publicized) Mass until further notice.
1. Per new regulations from Archbishop Gomez, the church will NOT be open for private prayers.
2. The scheduled Mass intentions will be offered by the Carmelite priests in a conventual Mass that we will not be allowed to publicize. So if you have a Mass intention scheduled in the Calendar of Masses YOUR INTENTION WILL BE HONORED AND MASS WILL BE OFFERED FOR YOUR INTENTION. (Note: A conventual Mass is a daily Mass which is required to be celebrated in any church in which the Divine Office is prayed every day.)
3. The Carmelite Cloister Mass at 7:30 a.m. is NOT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. However, we will continue to offer a PRIVATE Mass for the Carmelite Nuns every day.
4. The Archbishop encourages you to watch the recorded Mass from the Cathedral website. However, the Carmelite Friars are in the process of trying to video record the Mass every day for you as well. The Carmelite Sisters of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus are also livestreaming the Mass on their Facebook page (Sundays at 11:15 a.m.).
5. The Archbishop encourages you to KEEP HOLY THE LORD’S DAY/ SUNDAY by reading the Sunday Scripture selections, joining yourself to the Sacrifice of the Mass by watching it on television/ the internet, and making an act of Spiritual Communion.
6. Per the Archbishop's statement of March 24, the Sacrament of Reconciliation (Confession) is NOT available at this time.
7. We are instructed by the Archbishop to postpone Baptisms, funeral Masses, and weddings until after April 19 (date may change).
8. The priests will be celebrating the Masses and services during Holy Week. We hope to televise these so that you may be able to view these.
9. Soup Nights are CANCELLED.
10. Stations of the Cross are CANCELLED.
11. St. Therese Carmelite School will be closed until further notice. Our School families are continuing the academic expectations at home and on line. The teachers are available and Mrs. Cornejo as well as many of the teachers will be available at the School for consultation and help.
12. As of the evening of March 24, the Adoration Chapel is CLOSED.
13. The Carmelite Friars will be praying the Divine Office (the Liturgy of the Hours) privately. You may unite your prayers with ours at the following times:
• 6:45 AM MORNING PRAYER
• 11:30 AM DAY PRAYER
• 4:45 PM EVENING PRAYER
14. Both the Parish and the School Offices are CLOSED to the public.
The Carmelite Friars of St. Therese Parish are committed to shepherding you in these strange times. Along with the Archbishop, let us stay united, calm, and most of all prayerful! PRAYER IS POWER! We are hopeful that this will draw many prodigal souls back to the loving embrace of our Heavenly Father who constantly watches and waits for our return to Him! We love you very much and we are here for you! I am your Pastor and I must be about my Father’s Business!
In Jesus & Mary,
Fr. Philip Sullivan and all the Friars of St. Therese Parish & School